- This event has passed.
Billings Estate National Historic Site: Historic Cemetery Tours
October 21 @ 6:00 pm - 7:00 pm
Fridays and Saturdays at dusk from October 1 through November 12.
Cost: $15.25 per person.
Ages 16 and up.
Advance registration is required.
Experience a unique guided tour of the grounds at Billings Estate and the Settler’s Cemetery at dusk. Hear true tales of death, burial, and disease from 19th century Bytown and Gloucester Township. This one-hour tour will take you beyond the walls of a typical visit to the museum. Learn about life and loss in early Ottawa under the canopy of a 200-year-old oak tree, discuss the evolution of funerary practices in the Tombstone Garage, brave the Ice House basement, and explore one of the region’s oldest community cemeteries as night approaches.
- Tours are presented in English.
- The tour discusses difficult subject matter (e.g. disease, violence, death, etc.) and visitor discretion is advised.
- Tickets are not available at the door; advance registration is required. Tours with insufficient registration may be cancelled. If an alternative tour date cannot be accommodated, a refund will be issued.
- Please arrive 10 to 15 minutes before your tour’s scheduled start time.
- Tours will take place rain or shine. Dress for weather conditions, wear comfortable shoes, and bring bug spray.
- The tour route includes uneven and grassy terrain as well as gravel pathways. If you have questions regarding accessibility, please contact 613-580-2088 or email@example.com.
How to register:
Registration for the Historic Cemetery Tours is completed using Service Ottawa’s online system with the barcodes listed below. You can also find the program listing by navigating to “Activity Search”, clicking on “Advanced Search”, and using the keyword “Billings”.
Saturday, October 1 at 7 pm – 1636959
Friday, October 7 at 6:30 pm – 1636960
Saturday, October 8 at 6:30 pm – 1636961
Friday, October 14 at 6:30 pm – 1636962
Saturday, October 15 at 6:30 pm – 1636963
Friday, October 21 at 6 pm – 1636964
Saturday, October 22 at 6 pm – 1636965
Friday, October 28 at 6 pm – 1636966
Friday, November 4 at 6 pm – 1636967
Saturday, November 5 at 6 pm – 1636968
Friday, November 11 at 4:30 pm – 1636969
Saturday, November 12 at 4:30 pm – 1636970