- This event has passed.
Event Series: Nepean Museum: History Hackers
Nepean Museum: History Hackers
October 9 @ 10:30 am - 12:00 pm
A summer favourite returns for the fall season! Explore how Nepean’s material past transformed over time through science, technology, engineering, art, and math (S.T.E.A.M.). Discover a different theme each week and get inspired by unique objects from the museum’s collection. Advance registration is strongly encouraged.
Sundays: October 9 and 23; November 6 and 20 from10:30 am to 12 pm.
Ages 6 to 9.
Cost: $12 per child.
Registration is completed using Service Ottawa’s online system (https://apps102.ottawa.ca/) with the barcodes listed below.
Sunday, October 9 – Let’s navigate
Learn to navigate using a map then become a cartographer yourself while re-creating and re-imagining what a map can be.
Sunday, October 23 – Secret codes
Discover how communication technology has evolved as you master Morse code and make your own invisible ink.
Sunday, November 6 – E-weaving
Give a new spin to a traditional skill while making your own woven bookmark using recycled fabrics and electronic components.
Sunday, November 20 – Build your own homestead
Try your hand at the construction skills and tools used by settlers while building a model homestead of your own.
– This program is delivered in English only.
– Please pack a peanut-free snack and water for your child.
– Advance registration is strongly encouraged. Sessions with insufficient registration may be cancelled. If an alternative cannot be offered, a refund will be issued.
– Museum staff will assist participants with any assembly including sewing, hot glue, etc., and safety glasses will be worn. Most sessions will include some use of electronics (e.g. circuits, iPad, iPhone, etc.). Some electronic equipment may produce buzzing noises or small flashing lights. A community room will be available as a quiet zone if a break from noises or activities is needed.
– If you have questions or concerns regarding accessibility, please contact the museum by phone at 613-580-9638 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Additional information about accessibility can be found on the museum web page: Ottawa.ca/NepeanMuseum.